Você.

|
You.

Let's talk about you readers this time.
This should be interesting because the thoughts of it kept storming my head.
Here it goes:

Q1 : What do you do currently, as in college/university course(s) or specific profession(s) and is that/are those what you really love?
Q2: Why? Is it/are those because you wanted to or needed to?

I am brought up in a way with deep influences from my Dad, the ever-busy businessman. When I graduated High School, I felt afraid. Really afraid thinking of my new life, new path.

"What course should I be taking?"
"And where?"
"Should I be following my friends?"
"Or just go with the flow?"

I turned and asked my dad. He said something that I will never forget in my life.

"Whatever you wish to do, just let me know. I will support you, pay for you tuition fees until you graduate."
"There's nothing else I can do with the bloody sweat money and they're all for you kids!"
"All my dad taught me was to support you (children) mainly on educations."
"He did that to your first few uncles and aunts and now I'm gonna do it to you."

So, I chose to be in the University of Nottingham and I didn't regret it. I then pulled out during the first summer break and joined Clark Aviation, to be a Pilot.

Now, I know how hard it is for my dad to start working at the young age of fifteen or sixteen even without a high school level of education. He did not make it through high school and I think because his dad passed away at quite an early age, cutting off the needed financials for him to continue schooling.

I may be too young to think this way but to be completely honest, I am taking up aviation course not because I love it, but because of my future family. Of course, I would love to be a pilot, the professional career that the general society talks the most about - the perks especially (in which I will not discuss about here).

The above paragraph sums up the answer for Q1.

Some people that I know are doing what they are doing now because of their parents' wishes and I do know, not all of their wishes merge with their children's, usually clash. Many are seen to be "forced" to study some particular courses just to please their parents and/or friends and/or even the society. Why is it so hard for the unfortunates to do what they love to do?

In this case, I'm quite the opposite. I have the luxury to pick what I want to do, and hell yeah I'm treasuring this. Flying is what I wanted to do, not needed to. I would like to work as hard as possible to get good money and save them up for my future family. But, I'm in doubt if this is really what I love considering I don't do this personally for myself. In any ways, I do not regret making this step, I will never be. Though, sometimes I would be filled with jealousy seeing people doing what they love, what they really want to do. I'll get over it.

The above paragraph sums up the answer for Q2.

So, why am I saying this post is for you, about you? I would really appreciate it if everyone of you who spent time reading this could write down your personal experiences.

Please state:
- full name and/or nickname (how people greet you)
- how are you related to me (families, friends or even passerby)
- answers for both the questions (Q1 and Q2)

Whatever you're doing right now, try spending five minutes to write them down on the comment box of this post. Let the rest feel for you, not sympathizing but understanding your choices.

A sincere token of appreciation, "Thanks!"

21 Loud remark(s):

Zellent Low said...

I hope you guys are not too busy checking out some stuff over the internet. This might just take 5 minutes...

Sook Lee said...

Sook Lee, as your beloved friend =P says:

Q1. Well, I choose one of the toughest course to study, despite of all the warnings. I always love accounts, love to count bla-bla-bla. So here am I, studying ACCA.

Q2. By reading the answer for the Q1, I guess Q2 is automatically answered. I love it, that's why I'm doing it. I do have classmates doing this course because their parents want them to, which is sad. My parents are like,"As long as you like it, it's your choice." Lucky me! =)

Tete said...

First of all, I am your friend Kuang Te XD

Q1. I am doing a degree in Mechanical Engineering and up until now I am not sure whether I am loving it or will love it. I chose it because it is the one thing I know I am good at. If given lots of time, I will go through every single course there is on this planet and find the one I really like but that would take a lifetime...

Q2. I need to get a degree anyway if I am to come out and get myself a nice job. So Engineering is my path and Mechanical because I dont really like electric, too abstract!

Zellent Low said...

Sook Lee, yes lucky you! Well, I'm glad that you love what you're doing. I hope you can see yourself as an accountant/auditor or any of the related profession in the near future.

Zellent Low said...

Sook Lee, yes lucky you! Well, I'm glad that you love what you're doing. I hope you can see yourself as an accountant/auditor or any of the related profession in the near future.

Zellent Low said...

Oops, accidently clicked twice and commented twice on Sook Lee. Haha.

So, Te, you're saying that you're doing what you are doing now because you're good in it? Going through every single course in this planet is not necessary to search for your loved ones.

What is the thing that you would really love to do? What's your best interest in mind? From what I know, your academic qualifications can give you to endless opportunities around the globe, but do you have any obstacle that you would like to talk about?

Last but not least, are you happy with what you're doing now? Can you see yourself in that particular profession in the future?

Glad that you share with us!

Sonalisingh said...

Hey Zellent, this is ur best friend Sonali.

Well things just changed the day i got my high school results and so the future plans. I always wanted to be a doctor but things and thoughts never stay the same way.so here i m today almost done with quater of my pilot training at Clark Aviation .Its not something i always dreamt of doing , but its also not something i would never want to do because i was born and brought up in a pilot's family.Im here today and i know i can do it, i know i can surely give it my best and i believe flying is in my blood.But yeah there are times when i m confused about this decision , as in am i doin this completely for myself or my family or just to outshine among my friends or just to be some one different among others.But the time came when i fell in love with what i m doing.I m pretty sure that once someone is in love with what they do, then surely its not a job or some kind of necessity any more its just living your life. Yes its true that like some others even i want to be famous, rich and in the spotlight.But i have now made my decision after a long period that yes this is what i want to do and i m going to give my best.

Blahh.. wow there is so much i can write about this , but i guess the above has answered both ur questions.

you know you love me, xoxo said...

Zengie, your sweetest dear friend!

Q1: Well i've chosen one of the toughest pre u course, A Levels. I didnt see it coming after i graduate from high school. I took up this course because i want to further my studies in law field. Its not an easy course for me but i love it!

Q2: One of my uncle is a lawyer and i've always inspired by him! I really want to be a lawyer and may be someday i can contribute something to the society. My parents never even once give me pressure in my studies. After i graduate from high school, my dad even ask me why dont go for a vacation before starting my college life! He always ask me to do what i love and have passion doing it! I'm glad and feel very bless to have them as my parents!
Am i force to do it? 'force' doesn't exist in my family's dictionary! =D

po n i said...

haha, it's poni little horse here...it's the first time i feel so ter-ingin to "comment" on the post...

yep, poni is doing the same thing as zengie is doing right now..she's soon going to graduate from the pre-u course and have not really decided about her future..
it's accounting or law? or it can be any other courses..but 1 thing is, like most of the lucky children, her parents din force her to do what she dun like..
she's free to make a choice..
and same like the one who wrote this post, she's somehow concern about her future..
tat is want the best for her family..haha...ambitious she call tat...well, now she comes to a thought, maybe accounting and at the same time taking a second major in law or other related courses..smth tat she's interested in...haha, actually her ideal is to study the nature..the green..hope things will go smoothly for everyone including those who read this comment and her. :p

Zellent Low said...

Sonali, I'm glad you're speaking your heart out.

You see, some people are after what they love, and they do it. When they're successful, they can feel the satisfactory despite the criticism and struggles.

But some, like you, have found love only after you joined that particular course. I understand you were confused in defining the main reason of what you are doing now, in this case, between family/friends and yourself.

From what I can understand, you first chose to do it just to impress your family and friends but while struggling in your journey, you found love.

Like I mentioned earlier, some do it out of love, some do it and found love. You're the latter and it's not any different from the first.

I'm happy that you can finally define you're goal!

Zellent Low said...

Dear sweetie Zengie.

It's good to challenge one of the toughest but be careful not to let it eat you up! You know how much you struggle but as you do, you grow. That's a good thing!

I'm so impressed by your thoughts! To contribute for the society. Not many can think that way, and DO that way! It's also a good thing to have an all-time inspiration, your uncle. He has done a pretty good job in inventing a new generation of lawyers! I know one of them, you!

Also, the best part, your family. No pressure means you get to do just about anything in life, right? I have friends who would kill for that kind of luxury.

Glad that you're appreciating it and never thought of abusing your freedom. Continue using it wisely okay, super lawyer?

All the best!

Zellent Low said...

Poni Little Horse, it's always a good point that nobody forces you to do anything, right?

From Sook Lee, accounting is already tough added with Zengie's statement, law?

You must be really tough as well, I know! Well, it's good to be so ambitious and please promise me, do not fall down! If you ever do, you know where to find me. I'm not bragging but I could be a good listener!

I'm not trying to make you feel bad but not being able to study the nature, I feel sorry for you. I understand from your blog and lifestyle, you're somewhat a environmentalist but hey, an accountant-cum-lawyer is not bad too!

Perhaps you could earn so much that you can help the planet to turn greener! Keep it up, I love your open-hearted spirit!

Zellent Low said...

By the way, I'm flattered that Poni felt "so teringin" to comment!

Love you sis!

Criz Valentine said...

Gary's here to share.

Q1: I'm currently in a japanese language center in for their one year pre-u course. I actually entered this school with my own intention and a lil intention of my mum's. I liked japanese in high school. so it's my chance to learn japanese the best way next to going to japan. my mum's intention was i should study anything rather den staying home. So i choosed something I like.

Q2:well i think the unfortunates can do it it's because they are unfortunate to begin with. that's why there's nothing for them to lose if they fail in doing what they like.

sue said...

Heyy zellent!! sueyen here'..

Hmm..im currently doing diploma in banking and financial services, major in banking. Honestly, I really don’t know what I really wanted to do after high school back then. So I just choose accounting and applied in all of the four polytechnics in spore. But, SP (one of the polytechnics) offered me this course instead and I thought I should give it a try. First, I wanted to do business-related course. Second, I've always wanted to study in spore. I’ve never thought of taking this course nor follow my parents’ footsteps (both of them are bank officers). My parents inspired me a lot and I’m lucky they never force me to do something I never wanted to.

Anyway, I don’t regret my decision although it’s a tough course and my fellow classmates are damn competitive. I’ll just have to do my best in it to further my study in uni. all for the sake of a brighter future :] i guess thats all :D

Leoric said...

well, i am bit slow.... (my internet is way slower than me though XD)

Well, Leo or Chin would be just fine for a name to be called, I am errmmm you friend?? yea... lol your friend XD..

Q1
I am doing a degree in Bachelor of Science majoring in Comp Science/ Software System. To be really honest?? it was something i really love but not sure for the time being....my love (in studies) diverge from computers to neuroscience... but it is still something like love!!

Q2 i wanted to and also needed to.... i am the second child in my family and the first to go to university.(my brother prefers to work already) So basically, my parents spent a great deal (of money) on me for my studies.... as i said, i wanted to do CompScience/SoftwareSystem because i have passion in it.... On the same time, it is also a shorter course enabling me work faster than the Neuroscience counterpart....

In a way... I needed to do this course (instead of neuro) is for the reason that i would be able to work faster!! I am the type of person whom prefers to get things on my own... Hence the faster i finish, the faster i can stand on my own... and return the favour to my sister (whom will be the next inline for uni in my family) and ofcourse to repay my parents...

~:End:~

Leoric said...

edit *something like love* = *something i love*

EuEu said...

Eu here

Q1: I'm currently studying in Diploma in Business Studies(Accounting) in TARC. By studying in this course, I have a choice of choosing between 2 professional qualifications being ACCA and CIMA. Both are recognised widely. I don't exactly why I chose this course. I know I'm in love with business and dream to have my own business one day. So I figured, why not get myself a professional qualification to help me gain the knowledge I need to achieve my dreams. Knowing the accounts of a company can tell u a lot on how the company operates and is being managed. Moreover, If my business fails me, I can always work as an accountant XD Oh dang, I unintentionally answered Q2 as well. Anyway, I consider myself lucky for being able to choose what I want to study. So I'm gonna appreciate the chance I have and give it my best

EuEu said...

sry typo.

I don't exactly know why*

mamak-and-kimchi said...

Yin Ying in the house =) Kinda late on answering this since I don't check in regularly.

I'm doing Broadcast Communication, and it's my own choice. My mom was okay about it at first, because she didn't know what it's about, but now she pesters me to change my course because apparently she cannot "see" my future.

She would love me to take up courses like law/account/or-any-other-sound-like-professional-course. I like media-related course/jobs, but somehow she just doesn't see it the way I do.

Zellent said...

Hey guys, thanks for the comments!